Fathers! 

"By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of lie and protection for their families....fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners." 

I believe that men and women have their roles, but I believe that they are equal in their roles and in their purpose. I do believe women are very capable of many things, but I do believe that some things should be left to the men to do and vis versa. I believe that men and women were created differently, to achieve and do different things. I don't disregard there are certain situations, and those decisions should be made between the husband and wife. But I believe they are equal in their purpose. 

It is safe to say that I am a daddy's girl! My dad has had a huge impact on my life. I was fortunate enough to have parents who love and respect me. I have always looked up to my dad. My dad has rough, hard-working hands. He has always worked hard to provide for our family; at times working three jobs. I enjoy helping dad when he is working. I enjoy doing yard work with him. That was a time we would all work with dad outside. He taught us what his dad taught him, "If you are going to do something, you might as well do it right the first time." 

For those who follow me, you know I relate a lot to songs, and this song by George Strait is a perfect example of my dad and me. It's The Breath You Take

He looks up from second base, Dad's up in the stands. He saw the hit, the run, the slide, there ain't no bigger fan. In the parkin' lot, after the game, he said, "Dad, I thought you had a plane to catch." He smiled, and said, "yeah, son, I did." But life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day, ain't what it's all about. You just might miss the point tryin' to win the race, life's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. Fast forward 15 years and a thousand miles away, boy's built a life, he's got a wife and a baby due today. He hears a voice saying, "I made it, son." Says, "I told you, Dad, you didn't have to come." He smiles and says, "yeah, I know you did." But life life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day, ain't what it's all about. You just might miss the point tryin' to win the race. Life's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. Just like it took my breath when she was born. Just like it took my breath away when Dad took his last that morn. Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out, that gets you through the day, ain't what it's all about. You just might miss the point if you don't slow down the pace. Life's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away." 

I can count on one hand how many sporting event, or activities I was involved in, that my dad missed. He hardly missed anything. He always made the effort to come. It was important to him, and it was important to us. My dad always put his family first, no matter the situation. I remember my dad telling me that, "we get so many opportunities in life, and we can work our whole lives. We have to take the opportunities when they present themselves."

I am grateful for my family and the wonderful example they have set for me. I am grateful for loving parents who raised me well! 


Comments