Male and Female Roles

“All human beings—male and female —are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destinyGender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose."

This quote comes from The Family: A Proclamation to the World. This declaration was given in 1995 by the First Presidency and Quorum of Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

What was your role in your home growing up?

Were you the peacemaker, the obedient one, the tattle tale, the one to start a fight, the one to end the fight, the kind one, the helper, mamma's boy, daddy's girl? There are so many other roles that we play in our homes, here are just a few to name. I like to think I was the peacemaker, but I know for a fact that I was a daddy's girl!

“Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. ‘Children are an heritage of the Lord’ (Psalms 127:3). Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, to teach them to love and serve one another, to observe the commandments of God and to be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives— mothers and fathers—will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations."

I love spending time with my dad! My dad is the breadwinner in our house. He was working three jobs at one time to help give us the necessities we needed. I always looked for opportunities to go and do things with my dad, whether that was going to the dump, laying carpet, or going to the temple with my dad. My dad has always been there for me! I can count on one hand how many activities or sporting events my dad missed. My dad would drop anything for us kids. One time I asked my dad why he made us a priority, because we needed the money. He replied, "There are only so many opportunities, and these are ones I don't want to pass up. You can work your whole life."

I can't talk about my dad without talking about my mom! I love my mom, too! My mom stayed at home with us six kids and took care of us! I believe my mom had the hardest job! She did everything she knew, and tried her best to raise us well. I think she did a pretty good job. An experience I will always remember of my mom, was when I was a senior in high school. I was having some health challenges, and at this point my mom had gone back to work and was teaching first grade. I struggled getting up in the morning, because my body hurt so bad. My mom was there by my side the whole time. I really grew close to my mom!

"Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners."

As I said, my parents weren't perfect, but they tried their hardest. The gospel is very important to my parents and to our family. My parents tried to do daily prayer and scripture study, along with a weekly Family Home Evening. We weren't perfect and sometimes we ended up fighting, but we were at least consistent!

My parents also made family time very important! We went on a family vacation every summer! I always look forward to going on trips with the family! When I was four or five our family decided to go to Disneyland. It was a big deal, we had all of our aunts and uncles go too. We saved up all our pennies and worked so hard to earn our trip to Disneyland. We went before technology was really a thing. So between all of our cars we would communicate through walkie-talkies! It was so fun! I have been so blessed to have the family that I have!

I believe that we are all given our identities for a reason, and only we can fulfill these roles! I believe it is part of our divine nature and identity that we are the gender we are. Call me old fashion, but I do think that the mom should stay in the home and watch the kids, though I do think mothers should have and education in case something happens to the father, or help is needed with finances. I believe in the family!


Comments