"Tradition, tradition! Tradition!
Tradition, tradition! Tradition!
Feed a wife and children, say his daily prayers?
And who has the right, as master of the house,
To have the final word at home?
The Papa, the Papa! Tradition.
A quiet home, a kosher home?
Who must raise the family and run the home,
So Papa's free to read the holy book?
The Mama, the Mama! Tradition!
I hear they've picked a bride for me. I hope she's pretty.
The sons, the sons! Tradition!
Preparing me to marry whoever Papa picks?
The daughters, the daughters! Tradition!"
Who, day and night, must scramble for a living,
The Papa, the Papa! Tradition.
Who must know the way to make a proper home,
The Mama, the Mama! Tradition!
At three, I started Hebrew school. At ten, I learned a trade.
The sons, the sons! Tradition!
And who does Mama teach to mend and tend and fix,
The daughters, the daughters! Tradition!

Some of you may recognize these lyrics to the song Tradition from the classic Fiddler on the Roof. This is a classic of a Jewish family living in Russia. The Jewish traditions are very strict. Traditions are very important and are to be kept. In this specific film marriage is arranged. The father, Tevye, is put to the test when his daughters fall in love with men that they aren't arranged to marry. 


What traditions exist in your family? 


Some traditions in my family are getting together for holidays. Each holiday we do something we've done for years. For example, when we were younger, we use to go to each aunt or uncle's house for a different holiday. One of my uncles we would go to for Halloween, another, the Fourth of July, my aunt’s house we would go to for Easter. We usually did the same thing each time. Since we have grown up, we now have different traditions since our families are expanding. 


However, since we don't go and see my extended family as much anymore, we still make traditions of our own. So, why are traditions such an important thing? Traditions are important to me because they bring my family together! I love when I get to spend time with my family. As I grow up my family becomes more and more important to me! 

One of my favorite “traditions” is when our family would do Family Home Evening (FHE). We would dedicate one day, usually Monday, and do something as a family. Sometimes it would include a game, a spiritual lesson, or a treat!


I remember for one of our FHE’s we went to the track and ran around. It was something we enjoyed, physical activity, and hearing about dad breaking his hurdle record in high school. I hope to continue doing activities with my family.

Comments